"What you need to know about the past is that no matter what has happened, it has all worked together to bring you to this very moment. And this is the moment you can choose to make everything new. Right now." -Author Unknown
We've all played the "What if?" game.
I played it again this afternoon.
What if I had forgotten something in Publix and had to go back inside? What if I had tried on one more dress in Target? What if I had decided to study at home this afternoon? What if I had spoken to Andrea for a few more minutes at the Frassati House? What if the Honda Civic had decided to go straight instead of turning? What if I had turned two seconds later?
But I didn't forget something in Publix. I didn't try on one more dress. I didn't study at home, and I didn't prolong my conversation with Andrea. The Honda Civic decided to turn, and I turned at an exact moment in time.
Crash. An excellent "connectedness" movie. (Though a bit crude and graphic at times.) Events happen in a certain order. And once they have occurred, no one can change them. We only go on to the next event, the next moment and decide what we will do with it.
Fortunately, we do not face that future that becomes the present with each passing tick of the clock empty handed. We bring our past with us -- The knowledge, experiences, heartaches and joys. We are armed with our past so that we may have the strength to face the future.
I was reminded of this scene from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
So, here I am. Updating my blog for the first time in nearly a month. My car is in the shop with a dented bumper and misaligned wheel. But... I am not in the hospital, it was a sunny day and my friend Meg has the release party for her first EP tonight! Joy.
Here's to the moment right now, the moments I will spend with friends tonight, and whatever tomorrow may bring.
I hope you're having a good one. Peace.
"The past is our definition. We may strive, with good reason, to escape it, or to escape what is bad in it, but we will escape it only by adding something better to it." -Wendell Berry
So I totes have been lurking your blog, but just wanted to come out of the woodwork and say glad you're ok! And glad the Highlander (you still have it, right?) is mostly ok, too.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I personally could not stand the movie Crash. Everyone spoke so highly of it and after I watched it, for some reason could not understand why everyone hyped it up so much. Maybe it would be better if I watched it again, but for some reason the only things that I really remember from it were the crude/graphic parts (as you mentioned), so I really have no desire to take the time to watch it again. But who knows...
(However, LOVED Benjamin Button!)
ReplyDeleteMichelle! So glad you've been lurking around my blog! :)
ReplyDeleteYes, the Highlander is okay though it will not be returned to me until Friday... Sigh. I do love that car though.
Crash is definitely a hit-or-miss for people. I do wish it wasn't so crude though... yuck.
Hope all is well in DC!!!