Tests
I have taken tests before, but never a law school exam. There were practice exams in two classes, but those didn't count and they weren't as long (only one hour).
Today my final Torts exam was a four-hour marathon, and my brain is exhausted. For four hours all I heard was rustling papers, typing fingers and that tension-you-can-cut-with-a-knife buzz that filled the room. And that was with earplugs in and everything. All I can say is, "Wow." They tell you it will be hard and unlike other testing experiences, and they (whoever that "they" is... the reasonable person, perhaps?) are right. It's a lot of pressure knowing that your entire semester grade -- your entire semester's work -- depends on one four-hour period of several multiple choice questions and an essay.
And that's that. I'm glad it's over. Just two more to go... and then four more next semester... and then... it never does end, does it? Nor will it end when I am officially a lawyer because the law changes, and we must learn the changes... it truly is a lifelong-learning profession. Perfect. I always said I wanted to be a professional student.
Truffles
I am a shy cook and do not put much stock in my culinary talents. I can follow a recipe and cook meals that I consider tasty, but... the fewer ingredients, the better is my motto! I like simple recipes, and prefer to spend my time doing things not in the kitchen.
This year, however (since I actually have to cook on a regular basis), I have found little, hidden joys in cooking and baking. Sometimes, I actually enjoy it, and I am slowly starting to desire to try new things and actually do new things in the kitchen. Maybe it's because I like eating so much, but I also think I'm starting to enjoy the process. It's kind of fun to watch things blend together into something rich and creamy and it's kind of fun to stir it up myself. It reminds me of my first cooking forays with my mother using my Easy-Bake Oven. There was something just neat about creating a treat.
So... truffles. Something new, and, frankly, something a little bit scary. They seem so fancy, don't they? Luckily, I am modeling my truffles after The Pioneer Woman's recipe which she reassures her readers is quite simple. I feel like a pioneer woman... let's forge ahead!
Here goes somethin'!
| The recipe calls for semi-sweet, bittersweet, and milk chocolate (8 oz. each). You can use any type of chocolate, but I read on a another website that fancy chocolate (yes, pricier chocolate) is better since it is higher quality. So, Ghiradelli it is is for the dark chocolate and Perugina for the milk! Yum! |
| You put the dark chocolate into a double boiler (or, for the poor cooks like me into a class bowl over a pot of simmering water). The chocolate will start to melt after a few minutes. |
| Before the chocolate is fully melted and before you even mix it up, poor in one can (14 oz.) of sweetened condensed milk. Now there is some sweet and yummy goodness if I ever saw some! As The Pioneer Woman says, nothing can beat the real deal here... go all out! |
| Then, mix the chocolate and condensed milk together, keeping the bowl over the pot and the water at a gentle simmer! |
| I just love this swirly goodness... something that looks like that just has to be delicious! |
| Keeping folding the chocolate into the condensed milk and do not worry about the texture... it turns out just fine! |
| Once all of the chocolate is folded into the milk, turn off the heat and remove the bowl from the pot. Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla. It will make the chocolate a little extra shiny. Pretty! |
Next, cover the glass bowl and stick it in the fridge for a couple hours to let the chocolate become "firm and workable." Once it is, take it out of the fridge and get rollin'!
| Rollin' some chocolate into balls that is! Place the balls on wax paper on a cookie sheet and then stick them in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes until they are firm. You can leave the truffles like this and add a topping if you please... or... |
| You can give them an outer coating! I followed The Pioneer Woman's advice and dipped the truffles into melted milk chocolate. Make sure the truffle is fully coated and use a fork to lift them out to allow the excess chocolate to drip away. The milk chocolate will begin to harden quite quickly, forming a nice shell. You can leave them plain and pretty like this... or... |
| You can add a topping! I chose nuts (crushed pecans to be specific) because I like a nutty-chocolate flavor, but you can choose whatever your heart desires. The Pioneer Woman used sea salt, but I don't think I'm that brave of a baker yet! |
There you have it! Dark chocolate truffles with a milk chocolate shell and pecans on top! I tried one tonight, and I must say they are quite tasty... don't worry my roommate tried one as well and approved! I am proud of myself! A new culinary adventure -- Success!
"I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma." -Eartha Kitt
Sounds awesome.
ReplyDelete